Novec 1230 is an environmentally safe, clean agent, and sustainable chemical that extinguishes (disrupts) a fire by absorbing the heat (a cooling effect). Because it is non-conductive and non-corrosive, this fluid that works as a gas, will not damage the area or the engine components that it is designed to protect. Most importantly, it leaves no residue therefore, there is no costly or time-consuming clean up necessary after a discharge.
Novec 1230 can effectively be applied for inerting and explosion suppression applications in the following areas:
- Transportation: Mass Transit Vehicles
- Commercial Marine: Engine Rooms
- Commercial and Military Aviation: Engine Protection
- Military Systems: Combat Vehicles
- Cultural Facilities: Museums, Libraries, Archives
- Medical Facilities
Novec 1230 offers the largest margin of safety of any halon replacement available on the market today. In addition, 3M™ has conducted thorough evaluations for toxicity of the Novec 1230 fire protection fluid. These tests demonstrated the toxicity of Novec 1230 to be very low. This makes the product safe for operators and passengers, as well as maintenance crew, should a discharge be necessary. Some pertinent areas of testing to note were:
- Primary Skin Irritation non-irritating
- Primary Eye Irritation minimally irritating
Industry Approvals/Regulatory Status
Novec 1230 fluid is available globally.
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc (ULI)
- Underwriters Laboratories CA (ULC)
- FM Global (FM)
- Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB)
- TSCA: product complies with chemical notification requirements
- SNAP: approved for flooding (12/20/02) and streaming (1/23/03)
- REACH: product complies with chemical notification requirements
- CDSL: product complies with chemical notification requirements
With zero ozone depletion potential, extremely low global warming potential and short atmospheric lifetime, Novec 1230 fluid is the first chemical halon replacement to offer a viable, long-term, sustainable technology for special hazards fire protection. As a result, this product is expected to be available far into the future without restrictions.
*Desktop Viewing Only